Well, we had our clinic visit this morning in Birmingham, got Noah’s port accessed, and realized when his labs came back his ANC had dropped considerably. Because of this, Dr. Reddy thinks it will be best to wait another week before we begin treatment No. 6, and John and I are both in favor of that! We are now leaving the hospital and on our way to have lunch and spend a few hours in Birmingham before we come home. I hate that Noah’s body is having a hard time coming back from the last treatment, but I’m very glad that his doctor is willing to give him another week of rest. We are looking forward to a week without shots and some normalcy!
Thank you for your prayers , and I will post a more detailed blog tonight.
Ok here's the more detailed blog:
We are home! As I wrote earlier today, Noah's blood wasn't quite as strong as it needs to be for the next treatment. We will wait until Tuesday to check his counts again and go from there. More than likely he will be able to go ahead with treatment number 6 on Wednesday. Now here's the news I wasn't expecting to hear. Treatment number 6 may not be the last. What I don't remember hearing when we began this chemotherapy process was that there are 17 treatments in Noah's specific protocol. All we heard and understood was that there were 6 scheduled treatments and an MRI after that which would determine the next steps. The nurse practitioner did encourage us that the previous 2 patients (and only other patients) that have used this protocol (at this hospital) did not need the full 17 rounds of treatments, and they are both doing well today. She seemed confident that he wouldn't need the full protocol. Anyway, right now we're definitely looking at one more chemo round and an MRI; the concern of the spot on the last MRI is ever constant in my mind. Still praying it won't be there at the end of June. The possibility of more treatments still exists, but we're also praying that number 6 will be the last! Noah has had a long day of traveling but still has lots of energy to get into EVERYTHING he shouldn't be getting into at home. So he is doing great. :) I will be sure to post when I have a definitive answer about next Wednesday.
Comments are closed.
These posts are written by Noah's parents Jessica & John David Crowe. The default author is Jess, and those written by John David will be noted.