As I stated through Facebook updates earlier today, Noah's MRI went really well, and pretty much as scheduled. We were very pleased with how quickly we moved from one day surgery waiting to MRI waiting and then to the clinic. Once in clinic we were sent directly to a room to wait for Dr. Reddy. Once she was able to see us she gave Noah his usual check-up and stated he looked great and she was pleased with the results of the scan. "The scan looks good," she said. "There were no changes from the last MRI." All the enhancements from the last scan were there, but none had changed, and that is what they are looking for. So that was good news. She still cannot say for sure what the "enhancements" are, especially since the brain tissue is so abnormal due to the enormous size of the tumor. There is of course still a large void where the tumor once was. He will have another MRI in 3 months and will continue that trend for the next year. Because there are 11 treatments left in this particular protocol of treatment, Dr. Reddy said it is reasonable to consider doing 4 more treatments, which would give Noah a full year of treatment. The other patient she has had with this same cancer did 10 treatments. John asked if it would be possible postpone that treatment for 3 months, and then re-asses after the next MRI. She also said that would be reasonable. Basically, she left the decision up to us. John asked her what decision she would make if it were her child, and she couldn't answer that question. "I don't know, I would have to be in your shoes," she said. So, to re-cap, John and I must decide within the next week whether to continue with 4 more chemo treatments, ending somewhere around January 2011, or take a 3 month break from chemo, then have another MRI to see how these "enhancements" have responded. There are risks involved with either decision. We will have to prayerfully weigh the pros and cons of each choice and come to an agreement...it's going to be tough. Fortunately, we have planned a vacation for the next week, so hopefully some time away will aid in the decision making process...we are taking Noah to Disney World and are super excited about it.
Even though we're left with a tough decision today has been an amazing day. The chemo is working, the tumor has not grown back, and because of the skill of so many (nurses, doctors, amazing neuro-surgeons and oncologists) our little guy is alive, happy, full of energy and ready to see Cinderella ( yes, much to John's dismay, Cinderella is the only Disney character he is familiar with, aside from Lightening McQueen and Mater, but I don't think they'll be walking around in costume). It's going to be a great week. Thank you so much for praying on behalf of our son and for your continued words of encouragement.
I am about to ship the last of the t-shirt orders; these are local addresses so it shouldn't take long to get to ya...sorry about the delay.
And we will definitely take lots of pictures and video at the Disney parks...it may take us a while to get them posted on the site, but we'll do our best. God bless everyone and have a great 4th!!!
Noah so far is doing really well following his 6th chemo treatment. We went down to Birmingham on Tuesday afternoon so Noah could see the zoo once again. We were in the hospital from Wednesday through Friday morning. We expect his counts to drop in the next few days and a fever to hit him again, so we will more than likely be heading back to Children's towards the end of the week. Noah has an MRI scheduled for June 30th, and we should know that afternoon what the results are and if he will have to continue treatment. Please pray for a clear MRI! I will post when we have to go back to Birmingham.
These posts are written by Noah's parents Jessica & John David Crowe. The default author is Jess, and those written by John David will be noted.